Customer Piping and Responsibilities
Please be aware that, if you have any "customer-owned" pipes or lines in a project area, you are responsible for locating and marking them before your project begins.
Customer-owned pipes and lines are between the meter and your appliance. These include connections to yard lights, pool and spa heaters, garages, workshops, and similar areas.
If you are a customer of SEMCO ENERGY Gas Company, we would like to take this opportunity to inform you that:
- SEMCO ENERGY does not maintain the piping (buried or above ground) past your meter.
- If your piping is not maintained, it may be subject to the potential hazards of corrosion (metal piping) and leakage (plastic or metal piping).
- Your gas piping should be periodically inspected for leaks and corrosion and should be repaired if any unsafe condition is discovered.
- If excavation is to take place near your gas piping, you are responsible for locating and marking your piping prior to the excavation.
- SEMCO ENERGY, plumbing contractors, and heating contractors can assist in locating, inspecting, and repairing your piping.
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact our Customer Service department at 1-800-624-2019. Our Customer Service Representatives are specially trained to assist you in a friendly, efficient manner.