Natural Gas is more Economical**
Natural gas is up to 70% less expensive than propane or electricity for typical household use.
Natural Gas is better for the Environment
- A majority of electricity in the United States is produced from coal.
- Natural gas can reduce your carbon footprint by almost half as compared to using electricity.
Full-Fuel-Cycle Carbon Dioxide Equivalent Emissions for New Homes1
(Metric Tons of CO2e2 per Average Household Energy Use)
- Space heating, water heating, cooking, and clothes drying only
- Includes impact of unburned methane
- Based on actual generating mix in 2007
Natural Gas - CLEAN, EFFICIENT & ECONOMICAL
As a SEMCO ENERGY Gas Company customer, you already know the value of natural gas.
If you have an electric water heater in your home, you can save up to $300 per year*, or more, by switching to a natural gas water heater. In addition to the savings, natural gas water heaters heat up quicker than comparable electric heaters.
So if you are tired of a cool shower and want to save some money, take a look at switching to a high-efficiency natural gas water heater.
*Calculations based on prices in the MPSC Comparison of Average Rates for MPSC-Regulated Electric Utilities in Michigan, August 1, 2010
|Energy Consumption (MMBtu/yr)
|CO2** Emissions (tons/yr)
1 Energy cost is based on 2009 DOE representative average unit costs for energy where electric rate is $11.40 cents/kWh; gas rate is $11.12/Mmbtu
** Includes greenhouse gas impact from unburned methane
* American Gas Association Energy Analysis, October 20, 2009
** Calculations based on prices in MPSC “Summer Energy Appraisal”, May 26, 2010